Parental Relocation Disputes

After a divorce, it is not uncommon for one or both spouses to move to a new location to find employment, move closer to family members or pursue a new life in a new community. When spouses do not have minor children, they are free to move as they wish and no problems ensue. When a parent wishes to move with minor children, however, disputes may arise between parents.

Understandably, any parent with a set visitation (time-sharing) schedule may be concerned that a move will adversely impact his or her ability to spend time with the children. Conversely, the parent who wishes to relocate may feel that the move is in the best interests of the children.

If you are involved in a parental relocation dispute, it is critical that you have an experienced family law attorney who can protect your rights. For help in Central Florida, contact Korshak & Associates, P.A. With more than 60 years of combined experience, our family law attorneys can provide the vigorous representation you require.

Florida Relocation Laws

In Florida, if a parent wants to relocate more than 50 miles, he or she must obtain the written consent of the other party or obtain a court order. If a contested hearing is required, the court will determine if the move is in the best interests of the children. The court may examine a variety of factors, including:

  • The reason for the move
  • Any arrangements that have been made to enable continued time sharing
  • The location of the move
  • How a move will impact the children’s relationship with other family members (e.g., a grandparent or relative with whom the child has a close relationship)
  • How a move will impact the children’s educational needs
  • If the move will enable a parent to obtain employment or a better job that will enable him or her to better provide for the needs of the children
  • Other factors impacting the welfare of the children

Our attorneys have helped many parents who were seeking to relocate or opposing a relocation. Our attorneys have a strong knowledge of how local courts view such matters. If you wish to relocate or you need help opposing a relocation, let us put our experience to work for you.

Contact Our Casselberry Parental Relocation Dispute Lawyers

With offices in Casselberry and Orlando, we represent clients throughout Central Florida in family law matters. To speak with a Casselberry or Orlando parental relocation dispute attorney at Korshak & Associates, call 888-681-4389 . You may also contact us by email.