Attorneys Stephen Korshak and Lee Karina Dani

You Deserve The Money You Are Owed

If you have successfully obtained a judgment in one state, collecting monetary compensation from outside that state can be very challenging.

In simple terms, if you obtained a judgment in a California court against an individual who owes you money, and then the defendant moved to Florida, you must file the judgment with a Florida court to enforce it against the defendant’s property in Florida. This is referred to as domesticating a judgment.

At Korshak & Associates, P.A., we represent individuals and attorneys who need help with judgment collection issues in Florida. In addition to representing local clients, our lawyers have helped many out-of-state clients – both individuals and attorneys – who require assistance registering an order in Florida.

Registering Out-Of-State And Out-Of-Country Judgments In Florida

The process of registering an out-of-state judgment in Florida is relatively simple. Once your judgment is registered in Florida, the state will allow you to enforce the judgment in the same manner as if it were originally a Florida judgment.

You may be able to use the judgment to place a lien on the defendant’s real property or personal property, as allowed by Florida law.

We also have experience registering judgments from federal courts and from foreign countries. Once the order is registered, we can also provide collection services for out-of-state or out-of-country clients.

What Is The Uniform Enforcement Of Foreign Judgments Act?

The Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act provides a procedure to domesticate a judgment from a U.S state or territory other than Florida. The process is straightforward, but it is crucial to follow the protocol. Most states, for example, have codified the act with requirements specific to their region.

It is important to note that foreign simply refers to the fact that the judgment was obtained outside of the state where collections or enforcement will occur. It is wise to seek the counsel of an experienced lawyer who can provide guidance regarding your specific situation.

Collecting In One State On A Judgment In Another

We regularly conduct asset discovery on behalf of our clients, including out-of-state attorneys. Determining an individual’s property and assets is a critical step in the collection process. Property could include bank accounts, retirement benefits, investments, business assets, and more. Florida law provides some powerful tools to uncover a judgment debtor’s assets.

We do asset discovery on behalf of individuals or businesses, depending on our clients’ needs. If you need help with an asset search in Florida, please contact us to find out how we can help.

Working With Out-Of-State Attorneys

For more than 25 years, the attorneys at Korshak & Associates, P.A., have represented individuals and businesses facing complex collection efforts across state lines.

We work with attorneys outside of Florida who are seeking help with domestication issues in Florida. If you are representing a client is who seeking to collect a judgment in Florida or if you have encountered an issue and are seeking help from a local Florida attorney, contact us.

Contact Our Firm

If you have any questions about the domestication process in Florida, contact Korshak & Associates, P.A. We can be reached by phone at 888-681-4389 , or by completing our convenient email form.