Attorneys Stephen Korshak and Lee Karina Dani

You’ve won a judgment. Now what?

by | Feb 29, 2016 | Collections |

The road to collecting on a judgment in your favor can be a long one. In some cases, it may take a while to track down the debtor if they have moved. Even if there is a known forwarding address, the more time and distance between you and the judgment can make things difficult.

Many people don’t know where to begin when they are trying to collect on a judgment when one of the parties has left Florida. Different laws can apply from one state to another, and doing the research is a time-consuming task — particularly for small business owners and other hard-working people who have plenty to keep them busy already.

Trying to figure out which laws apply to the situation can be next to impossible for someone without a legal background. And not every attorney is familiar with how to collect on a judgment from another state. If you find yourself in this situation, you will want to work with a law firm that has direct experience with this kind of legal matter, which is known as domesticating a foreign judgment.

While many law firms handle collections matters, not all of them have experience with collecting judgments across state lines. Choosing an attorney who is unfamiliar with the steps that need to be taken could significantly slow down the process. And at this stage of the game, any delay could be significant. If the person you’re pursuing for judgment has moved before, it’s not out of the question that another move could be on the horizon.