To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

How can I collect on a debt from another state?

As anyone who has been owed money understands how difficult it can be collect on some debts. The collections process can be a difficult road to travel, and even if you win a judgment in court, actually collecting on the debt can be a different animal entirely.

A prime example of this is when either you or a debtor has moved to a different state. For example, if you have obtained a judgment in a New York court, but the person who owes the debt then moves to Florida (or if you move to Florida yourself), your ability to collect the sum that you are owed becomes all the more difficult.

The process is known as the domestication of a foreign judgment -- "foreign" in this case meaning that the judgment is from another state. Having an attorney who is experienced in these cases can go a long way toward collecting on a debt you might have been struggling to collect on for a long period of time.

When the court has received the correct paperwork, the debtor will be contacted by the clerk of court with a request to reply within a certain number of days. If there is no reply, the judgment will be entered. The debtor might request a hearing to dispute the judgment, but usually the debtor is not permitted to dispute the judgment or the debt itself.

Having a little knowledge about how judgments are domesticated can go a long way toward collecting on some of the peskiest debts you have outstanding.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Request Your Free Telephone Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.


North Office
950 S. Winter Park Dr
Suite 290
Casselberry, FL 32707

Toll Free: 888-681-4389
Casselberry Law Office Map

South Office
14115 Town Loop Blvd #300
Orlando, FL 32837

Toll Free: 888-681-4389
Orlando Law Office Map

At Korshak & Associates, P.A. we love feedback from our clients. Please take a moment and tell us how we’re doing!