Attorneys Stephen Korshak and Lee Karina Dani

What can you do when your ex cancels your parenting time?

On Behalf of | Oct 3, 2022 | Divorce |

Your custody order or time-sharing arrangements are some of the most important details in your parenting plan. You and the other parent of your child should comply with the terms included in your custody order as much as possible.

When situations arise that force you to change your schedule, scheduling makeup parenting time is often necessary. Unfortunately, there are some people who seek to subvert the time-sharing arrangements for their children, often because they resent the ongoing relationship that they must have with the other parent.

If your ex has started to cancel your parenting time to keep you away from your child, what rights do you have?

The right to request enforcement

If your ex does not respect your custody order and has inappropriately interfered in your access to or relationship with your children, the Florida family courts may help. You will need to keep detailed records of every canceled, shortened or delayed parenting session.

You can then ask the family courts to enforce your custody order. A judge hearing an enforcement case might warn the parent depriving the other of access about their actions and then order the family to schedule makeup parenting time.

Unfortunately, your ex might still continue to interfere in your relationship with the children. They may even talk poorly about you to the children to harm your connections with them in addition to denying you time with them. What can you do in that scenario?

You can ask for a modification

The Florida family courts typically expect parents to cooperate with one another and act in the best interests of the children. Parents who fight with one another and intentionally interfere in the relationship the children have with the other parents do the family a serious disservice.

A parent engaging in intentional parental alienation may cause lasting psychological harm to the child and significant damage to the relationship between the child and the other parent. Evidence of denied visits and your ex bad-mouthing you to the children could help you show that your ex puts their wants ahead of what is best for the children. Judges may potentially give a parent harmed by alienation attempts more time with the children in an effort to redevelop the damaged bond.

Recognizing when you need to speak up to protect your relationship with your child can help you navigate contentious Florida custody matters.