Parental Relocation FAQ

Once a parenting plan is decided upon, Orlando parents might think that the process regarding child custody issues is over with. However, it is not unusual for circumstances to change over time; a child custody agreement that made perfect sense at one time might become impractical, unworkable or otherwise impossible.

One obvious action that can trigger the need for a revised parenting plan is when one parent moves away. An increased physical distance can easily make previous visitation arrangements or agreed-upon drop-off times or locations no longer viable. When this happens, the family law attorneys of Korshak & Associates can help parents make sure they’re doing everything by the book.

Here is a brief Orlando parental relocation FAQ:

What information do I need to provide in written consent?

It is best to provide as much information as possible in the request for written consent to the relocation. This can include the location you are moving to, the reason for relocating, a proposed custody arrangement, who is paying for expenses if the child has to travel back and forth and more. 

I have to move for my job. Do I still have to get permission?

Yes, if you are moving more than 50 miles away. The key thing to remember is that such an action has to be in the best interests of the children. While a new job might provide a higher income, it may not be worth it from the kids’ perspective if their routine is disrupted or they would have to change schools.

If I move, do I have to get the court’s permission no matter what?

As long as your spouse gives written consent to the move, you do not need to go to court. If the spouse objects, then you will need to be prepared to discuss where you are moving to and why, how the move will impact the children and what arrangements you have made to ensure that parental time sharing can continue.

What if the court rejects my relocation request?

If your ex-spouse will not give permission for the relocation and a judge has determined the reasons for the move are not good enough to warrant uprooting the child, then you will have to discuss a possible change to the custody arrangement to accommodate your move (and the child stays in the state) or change your plans.

What if I object to my ex relocating with my child?

It is within your rights to deny your ex permission to move. The issue will most likely proceed to court, where you will have to demonstrate that the relocation is not in the child’s best interest and will put a strain on your relationship with the child.

Speaking with a lawyer from Korshak & Associates can help you get a better idea of what needs to be done. Call us at 888-681-4389. You may also contact us by email.