To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

What licenses do you need for your Florida business?


Starting a business comes with a long to-do list, from coming up with a name to creating contracts. One of the items on that list is securing the licenses and permits you need to legally do business. Their purpose is to track transactions for taxes and to protect customers from unsafe or fraudulent actions.

There are so many licenses that you may not know which ones you need. Some are requirements for all Florida businesses, whereas others depend on the industry you are in, the products you offer and how far-reaching your company is geographically.

General business licenses and permits

All companies, no matter the niche, require the following licenses and permits:

  • Local business operation: This license from the city or county allows you to do business in the area. Home-based and online businesses need permits, too.
  • Tax ID (federal employee identification number): This is necessary for tax purposes, even if you are a nonprofit company.
  • Zoning license: This ensures you can conduct your business in a specific part of the city.

Remember to display your licenses and review renewal dates to ensure you always stay compliant with the law. 

Specific business licenses and permits

Being in certain industries require additional licenses and permits. You may need ones from federal agencies for areas such as agriculture, alcohol, transportation and communications, says the U.S. Small Business Administration. Medical, legal, personal-care and other professions require state licensure. If you sell food, you must have a health permit. If you have a large establishment open to the public, you need a permit from the fire department to ensure safety. If you are building the establishment instead of using an already existing one, you require a building permit.

If you expand the size or service of your company, you may need to re-license the business to accommodate the changes. When in doubt, the best thing to do is talk to your local government or your attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Request Your Free Telephone Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.


North Office
950 S. Winter Park Dr
Suite 290
Casselberry, FL 32707

Toll Free: 888-681-4389
Casselberry Law Office Map

South Office
14115 Town Loop Blvd #300
Orlando, FL 32837

Toll Free: 888-681-4389
Orlando Law Office Map

At Korshak & Associates, P.A. we love feedback from our clients. Please take a moment and tell us how we’re doing!