To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

What to do when a relative without a will has signs of dementia

We have spoken before about how powers of attorney can allow loved ones to care for people who have been mentally incapacitated by illness or injury. Another form of power of attorney empowers a person to handle the incapacitated person's financial affairs; it is also possible to have power of attorney over both the person's finances and medical decisions.

You can designate who you want to have health care and financial power of attorney over you, in the event of a medical emergency or serious illness. A guardianship may also be appropriate. However, some people are in the early stages of dementia. They are still able to care for themselves and make financial decisions to a certain extent, but their condition is likely to grow worse in the next few years, if not months. What can you do if an aging parent with diminishing mental capacity does not have an estate plan, but you may not be able to obtain power of attorney or a guardianship?

It may take a lot of patience, but it is possible to convince an older relative to finally put together an estate plan, even when their ability to discuss such matters is diminished. You may have to bring it up several times, and address their concerns over and over until they are convinced.

The stakes could be high, especially if the loved one has significant assets. In one example, a man owned the farm he shared with his son and daughter-in-law. He did not formal plans for the farm in a will or trust. When the son and daughter-in-law asked him about it, he told them he had a plan, but he would not say what it was and had not written it down anywhere.

Later on, the couple noticed the man showing signs of dementia, such as repeating himself and acting reclusive. If he dies without establishing an estate plan, the results could be needlessly expensive and difficult.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Request Your Free Telephone Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.


North Office
950 S. Winter Park Dr
Suite 290
Casselberry, FL 32707

Toll Free: 888-681-4389
Casselberry Law Office Map

South Office
14115 Town Loop Blvd #300
Orlando, FL 32837

Toll Free: 888-681-4389
Orlando Law Office Map

At Korshak & Associates, P.A. we love feedback from our clients. Please take a moment and tell us how we’re doing!

Review Us