Parental Relocation FAQs

Once a parenting plan is decided upon, Orlando parents might think that the process regarding child custody issues is over with. However, it is not unusual for circumstances to change over time; a child custody agreement that made perfect sense at one time might become impractical, unworkable or otherwise impossible.

One obvious action that can trigger the need for a revised parenting plan is when one parent moves away. An increased physical distance can easily make previous visitation arrangements or agreed-upon drop-off times or locations no longer viable. When this happens, the family law attorneys of Korshak & Associates can help parents make sure they're doing everything by the book.

Here is a brief Orlando parental relocation FAQ:

I have to move for my job. Do I still have to get permission?

Yes, if you are moving more than 50 miles away. The key thing to remember is that such an action has to be in the best interests of the children. While a new job might provide a higher income, it may not be worth it from the kids' perspective if their routine is disrupted or they would have to change schools.

If I move, do I have to get the court's permission no matter what?

As long as your spouse gives written consent to the move, you do not need to go to court. If the spouse objects, then you will need to be prepared to discuss where you are moving to and why, how the move will impact the children and what arrangements you have made to ensure that parental time sharing can continue.

Speaking with a lawyer from Korshak & Associates can help you get a better idea of what needs to be done. Call us at 888-681-4389 . You may also contact us by email.